Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Room Reviews

Well, I'll start the recollection with my room reviews.

I had booked Fri - Tue at Buffalo Bill's in Primm, NV ($23) and Sun - Tue at the Golden Gate in downtown LV ($2).

Buffalo Bill's is way out down I-15 towards the California border. It took me about 45 minutes to get there from the airport. The worst part was the second time I went, I turned at the first light instead of the second one and it dumped me onto I-15 N and it was EIGHTEEN MILES until the next exit where I could turn around. Talk about a wasted half hour! Now for the good parts. When I arrived at the hotel, they had a promotion for $20 in slot play for new club members if you brought them a receipt from their gas station. I promptly put $20 gas in the rental car and they gave me the slot play and a cute t-shirt. I won about $35 off the slot play, so I had the profit plus the gas, which was nice. They also have a $2 craps table. Since I love craps, this was good for me. The room itself was rather large. The beds were average and not uncomfortable. There was coffee and toiletries and a closet. The TV got no channels, but who watches television when there's gambling to be done? The shower stall was a little weird in that it was super short. At 5'7", I had to duck to get under the shower head. The bathroom was quite nice other than that, with a nice marble countertop. All in all, for an average of less than $6 per night, this was a stellar room. The roller coaster never ran while were there. Although I had coupons for a free ride, I was also happy that a loud roller coaster didn't wake me up.

The Golden Gate was a total jewel. The hotel has the old timey mailboxes for guests. The staff wears the white shirts with the black skinny bow ties. It's very nostalgic. Ask for a room on the fourth floor, as those rooms are larger. I was in a small room on the third floor. I mean, really small. HOWEVER, the bed was a super plush pillow top, there were cute art deco lamps, an i-home with some nice nature sounds by the bed, neutragena toiletries, gourmet coffee and a huge flat screen tv. The shower stall was original from the 1906 building (with some improvements circa 1930 and several refreshes.) I don't like the grout in tile floors, so I wore flip flops in the shower. The shower head was quite short. I am 5'7" and I had to bend down a little to wet my hair. The towels were threadbare and scratchy. In all, it was much nicer than your typical Super 8/Rodeway Inn. I'd say a solid 3 star experience.Oh yeah, and if you miss out on the AWESOME 99 cent shrimp cocktail (over 25 million sold at this location!) you're a complete fool. To get the 99 cent price, you need only sign up for a player's card. They then give you a free gift (calendar, dice, key chain) and $5 slot play to boot. With my ACG coupon for a free deck of cards (which they were out of) I was able to double my free loot.

No comments:

Post a Comment